Discover Gothenburg, Sweden!
Gothenburg (Göteborg) is the second largest city in Sweden with a population of 550,000. Located on Sweden's west coast, it is on the doorsteps of a beautiful archipelago.
It's a great city, with history, architecture, proximity to the sea and beautiful landscape; warm and friendly people.
World Food Travel Association
View the recent articles:
- New York Times: 36 Hours in Gothenburg, Sweden
By Ingrid K. Williams
- VOGUE: Why Sweden’s Second City - Gothenburg - Is a Must-Visit
By Matilde Wergeland
Brief history of Gothenburg
- Founded in 1621 - trade, shipping and international contacts have characterised Gothenburg ever since.
- In 1731, the Swedish East India Company began trading with the east.
- In the 19th century, Gothenburg became industrialised, largely due to the arrival of Scottish and English businessmen.
- Modern-day Gothenburg, with its wide boulevards, parks and stone buildings, was built towards the end of the 19th century.
- The shipyards grew large in the 20th century, but declined at the end of the 1970's and are now transformed into residential areas and offices for people to enjoy the harbour atmosphere.